Jun 21, 2009

'Boys' to Remember


Well, its been long since I wrote a review of a movie here, although I have been watching them a lot!
Whatever kept me away, I just feel like putting some notes on this film I saw yesterday ..lazily trying to pass the hot summer Delhi noon. To my surprise, it wrapped me in its 2 hour run time and even made me cry in the end....almost a bliss!
I had no clue about this movie and had just copied onto my laptop from a friend's hard drive...but I wonder why it failed to create ripples ...it was such a treat to watch this beautiful story of 4 orphaned kids called the 'December Boys'.
The narrative was so simple yet so intriguing that it kept its hold until the very end....accentuated by some splendid screenplay and cinematography replete with breathtaking imagery of the Australian countryside. I didnt know that it was Australia until the credits rolled up in the end..all through the movie I was guessing if it was England by the sea or East America!

Apart from the beauty of the frames, it was the superlative performances by each individual cast including Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter) which made this movie such a special viewing experience. Those who have seen the 'wizard boy' Daniel Radcliffe in the Harry Potter series would gallop in surprise with the kind of role he plays here ....of an orphaned teenager trying his foot into adolescence and yet stuck into his gang of minors called the 'December Boys'.

The film is essentially the story of the friendship between these boys but it twitches your heart with some splendid elements of parenthood, life in orphanage, confessions and indulgences of the mind of young boys , the fight for survival, the need for adulation and much more...elements that would make your eyes wet ..in the end.

I would rate this movie 4.5 out of 5 for its sheer simplicity , innocence and beauty....I thought I would remove it from my already crowded disk space but no....now I have put it in my 'all time favorites' folder....for another experience ...some time later.....the 'Boys' to remember!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails