Mar 22, 2009

A Road to Nowhere?


A happily married couple with two young kids, living in an uptown locality....quite a peaceful setting ...with no one to disturb that peace.
So that's the point...when nobody disturbs you...you tend to disturb yourself...out of monotony, out of curiosity, out of temptation ...out of ordinariness.

Kate and Leo come onscreen together a decade after Titanic....and bet you, they still sizzle...almost !
They play this couple , April and Frank Wheeler, living on Revolutionary Road where each one of them wants to have an identity rather than an existence. So what begins as an attempt to think a way out... jointly, stifles its way to anonymity and insularity. And in between this riveting domestic drama, there are huge explosion and ceasefires that confront you , right into your face with a fierce voraciousness.

My pick from the breakfast table :

April Wheeler
: So now I'm crazy because I don't love you, right? Is that the point?
Frank Wheeler: No! Wrong! You're not crazy, and you do love me. That's the point, April.
April Wheeler: But I don't. I hate you. You were just some boy who made me laugh at a party once, and now I loathe the sight of you. In fact, if you come any closer, if you touch me or anything, I think I'll scream.
Frank Wheeler: Frank: Oh, come on, stop this April.
[He touches her for an instant and she screams at the top of her lungs before walking away.]

John Givings: Hopeless emptiness. Now you've said it. Plenty of people are onto the emptiness, but it takes real guts to see the hopelessness.

John Givings: You want to play house you got to have a job. You want to play nice house, very sweet house, you got to have a job you don't like.

April Wheeler: Tell me the truth frank remember that? We used to live by it. And you know what's so good about the truth? Everyone knows what it is however long they've lived without it. No one forgets the truth frank they just get better at lying

Frank Wheeler: Well I support you, don't I? I work ten hours a day at a job I can't stand!
April Wheeler: You don't have to!
Frank Wheeler: But I have the backbone not to run away from my responsibilities!
April Wheeler: It takes backbone to lead the life you want, Frank.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails